Thread: Problems with wheel bearings!

serg87 Guest

Exclamation Problems with wheel bearings!

I have a 2005 g35 coupe with about 43000 miles and i been hearing this noise coming from the wheels of the car i believe. So i went to any mechanic to check it out and he told me i need to change my wheel bearingg he told me it would cost me about $400 is this a good price? or should i go somewhere esle and were? or is my bearing even the problem??

is it clicking?
    if so thats a common prob, it just needs to be regreased. i would try that before replacing the entire bearing.
    2013 BMW 535i ///Msport
    Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by VVVVICE View Post
    Lulz i think iz a gay now

I RARELY CHECK THIS SITE ANYMORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH A THREAD, PLEASE PM LEV. THANKS.

if it is a wheel bearing, then you whole wheel would be wobling when you jack the car in the air. if it is a clicking noise then its just axle and can be fixed at the dealer for free.

Even if its wheel bearings, if you still have warranty, go to your dealership, I remember I had mine fixed, it was more of a vibrating feel/noise coming from the front drivers side wheel...

Quote Originally Posted by LEON View Post
    Even if its wheel bearings, if you still have warranty, go to your dealership, I remember I had mine fixed, it was more of a vibrating feel/noise coming from the front drivers side wheel...
    I get that, and Kings constantly tells me my wheel bearings are fine. I ask how did you check them if I never provided you the keys for the lugs, they replied with "We don't need to take the wheels off to check your bearings, we just shake your wheel, if it doesn't move the bearings are fine".
    Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    mike drove into my car messed up my door and said go on g35nyc
    Mike @ Rapid Purple
    NYC Webmaster Resources & Services
    http://rapidpurple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Metalp3n View Post
    I get that, and Kings constantly tells me my wheel bearings are fine. I ask how did you check them if I never provided you the keys for the lugs, they replied with "We don't need to take the wheels off to check your bearings, we just shake your wheel, if it doesn't move the bearings are fine".
    ^Exactly

Even to fix the clicking noise you don't need to take off the wheels if you don't have center caps

Mike @ Rapid Purple

Ye, i had that problem when I just bought the car and Will was still there, the good old days when fixing an actual defect under warranty wasn't a hassle...

Quote Originally Posted by LEON View Post
    Ye, i had that problem when I just bought the car and Will was still there, the good old days when fixing an actual defect under warranty wasn't a hassle...
    Oh yea with Will I had no issues either. I came in, said it felt like shit but it didn't shake or move when tested by hand. He took my hub apart and brought me my bearings in several pieces. This is why I really don't trust these "shake it by hand and see if it moves on a 3700lb car".
    Mike @ Rapid Purple

Oh yea with Will I had no issues either. I came in, said it felt like shit but it didn't shake or move when tested by hand. He took my hub apart and brought me my bearings in several pieces. This is why I really don't trust these "shake it by hand and see if it moves on a 3700lb car".
    I find that is not really an accurate method of checking them either. I know for a fact mine are going but there is no play whatsoever. I don't trust any of these "checks" for wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. If the car is riding like crap, and i think thats the problem i just replace them, even if they look fine. And you know what...it ALWAYS fixes the problem

Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    I find that is not really an accurate method of checking them either. I know for a fact mine are going but there is no play whatsoever. I don't trust any of these "checks" for wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. If the car is riding like crap, and i think thats the problem i just replace them, even if they look fine. And you know what...it ALWAYS fixes the problem
    They're normally covered under warranty, so I need Kings to check them and find them to be bad in order to replace them under warranty, however their POS check never finds a damn thing wrong. Sigh, I have another appointment for tomorrow morning, Ill give it another shot.
    Mike @ Rapid Purple

that is the way i check mine and yes you can feel the play in the wheel if it is off the ground if the bearing is bad. My Rear bearing on the driver side went bad 2x already and infiniti covered it both times. I was the one who discovered the problem before they they did.

If the bearing is really bad you will feel it in the driving of the car if it is slightly worn out it will be hard to tell. The bearing is enclosed so there is no way to tell if it went bad or not.

serg87 Guest
    Thanks forthe help guys I got appoinment with the dealer friday to check it out hopefully the basic warrenty covers it

Im Bumping this thread. I strongly Believe my wheel bearings are going terribly bad, cause my clicking sound has gotten so much worst. now i have a question, can a bad wheel bearing affect turning? i also notice now when i try to make a aggressive right turn and my car would push it even more to the right. as if while ur turning and you yank your steering wheel a bit more to the right kinda feeling. i was starting to think otherwise of my suspension or steering until i started to think it might be caused by the bad bearing.

what are the symptoms of a bad bearing while driving? ^^...i noticed sometimes when im slowing down my wheels suddenly jerks to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    what are the symptoms of a bad bearing while driving? ^^...i noticed sometimes when im slowing down my wheels suddenly jerks to the left.
    i get that too with the jerking. but anyways here are the symptoms

Grinding Noise
    The most typical sound from bad wheel bearings is a metal-on-metal grinding or scraping noise. It may not be very loud. Other possible noises associated with bad wheel bearings are squealing, squeaking, chirping or even a moaning sound.

Motion
    The frequency of the sound increases with speed, although it may become impossible to hear with other highway noise. The noise may go away when turning, or it may become worse. It might also only occur during turning.

Steering
    Bad wheel bearings might cause a bit of steering wander.

Braking
    Another possible symptom of bad wheel bearings is a pull to one side while braking.

Wiggle
    When trying to diagnose a bad wheel bearing, jack up the front of the vehicle and try to wiggle the wheel from top to bottom. If it wiggles noticeably, that may indicate a bad wheel bearing.

*can a mod sticky this* i think this is very useful information

Shaking wheel test sucks.

Here, if your car sounds like a cessna airplane above 40 mph

a) get the wheel balanced...10 bucks

b) if that doesnt work, replace wheel bearing.

/done

Clicking axle. Go to parking lot. Drive in tight circle. If clicks
    a) remove drive shaft

b) replace boot and cv joint

/done

MarkR, if your wheel steering wheel shutters or pulls when you brake hard you prob need to shave down your rotor.

BigPei, I still argue that the most obvious sign of a bad bearing is the airplane/sub way car noise your car makes at high way speed....just like a poorly balanced wheel. the sound is also exacerbated when you load the wheel - i.e. if you switch lanes left quickly, you load the right wheel.